Sunday, September 27, 2015

2nd Response to Feed

Feed by M.T Anderson pg. 29-72


Do you feel there is an opinion expressed by the author through this work?


In the beginning, getting into the world that Anderson created was a little hard for me, but I am definitely liking the book and the character as the story develops. Every page is filled with parallels between their world and the readers world; I love this because I am constantly evaluating and comparing my world to the books, which has tons of similarities for today's society and they are not very positive similarities. I think the author's commentary and opinions on today's society is apparent on almost every page. Anderson created a world that seems exaggerated; however, I think the reader starts to get this eerie feeling that this world hits close to home. The author wants the reader to begin questioning the world that surrounds them in terms of technology, communication, and establishment control. I feel like the author is very explicit in showing the negative effects to the next generation's culture. Even though the character's annoy me, I could probably name three people who remind me of those characters. I see my students constantly connected to technology and consumed by communication. I know that these things aren't necessarily evil; however, I am sometimes paranoid as to how people use this as a way to control the masses. In the section that I read, the kids were hacked by this guy at a club/party and their feed had to be re adjusted. I think the author is clearly illuminating to how people are now being chipped and constantly tracked as well as marketing/business companies having access to our information in order for us to buy more. Anderson's critique on today's society is important and I think reading this book allows the reader to start questioning or at least reflecting on our current culture. 

3 comments:

  1. Feed sounds so creepy; I need to read it as soon as you're finished! Haha -- and I think it's pretty obvious, even from the novel's premise, that there is a hidden curriculum at work here :) Scholars already say that we won't know the influence of today's media and technology on people until more time has passed, but there are alarming dystopian-like parallels being set by advertising, privacy, and piracy issues. I'm excited to hear how your novel ends! And is it a series, do you know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think the author has exaggerated the characters and language to reach his adolescent audience? I wondered that as I read it--it seems extreme, but sometimes to get a point across with adolescents, WE have to be extreme. If the author was too subtle, the point may have been missed?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you think that is cool, imagine yourr students reading this book! I think that those are the best books when there is so much interaction going on within the book, but also with the person who is reading the book. I haven't read this one yet, probably because I don't read much dystopian novels, but I will have to check this out!

    ReplyDelete