Monday, November 2, 2015

The Fault in Our Stars pt II

The Fault in our Stars John Green

If you were a teacher, would you want to share this work with your students? Why or why not?


I would definitely share this work with my students, whether or not we were reading something like Romeo and Juliet. Even though it wasn't my favorite book, I still think it is a great book for students to read because he definitely elevates YA literature, but I also think the story is easily identifiable for teenagers. I could see some students loving the ill-fated love relationship; however, hopefully they would be also captured by some of his more poignant moments. I would not only have it in my classroom, but I think it could be used as a good mentor text for several different reasons. The language is very good and could be used for highlighting powerful language/author's craft. I could also see myself using different portions of the novel to possible start conversations or discussions about similar issues that deal with whatever we are talking about for that day/week/unit. I also like that he has several books out as well as blogs and youtube videos so students can further their love for this author and start becoming life long followers. The class could also have a good discussion surrounding the movies and comparing books to movies. There is definitely a lot of possibilities with this book for students to not only enjoy it, but actual use it as a teaching tool! 

2 comments:

  1. I agree--not only is Green "crafty," but he is an author-personality who is cool--it's powerful for our students to see and meet YA authors who are talented writers and techy cool--who write so thoughtfully, honestly, and carefully about real issues teens confront every day. I know you didn't love this book, and know that this is perfectly okay--this is something our students experience all of the time--

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't thought about the power of using this novel in tandem with a unit on film-making and movies-from-texts, and I really like it. Even though TFiOS is a love story, there is no graphic sexuality, which would allow it to have the rating necessary for showing it in class. I like the idea of teaching students to read non-written texts. I think this book would be a great fit. Also, I was impressed that both of the guys in our book club liked it a lot. I am always glad to find books that find welcome by both genders...

    ReplyDelete